The Wrath of Pong

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Xbox 360: should you wait for the PS3?

Without question, the PS2 was the clear winner of the last console wars with nearly three quarters of the console market share, and Microsoft and Nintendo combined with not even half that. But in many gamers' minds, both casual and professional, the Xbox was the king, with a spec sheet that put both Sony and Nintendo to shame, and beating both to the HDTV technology punch.

What these Xbox fans seem to want to ignore is the inherent weakness in being the strongest kid in the classroom when the contest has to be tweaked to allow all the kids to play. The only time the Xbox's specs ever really mattered were in its own games, and even then it wasn't that much better a result than how dedicated and brilliant designers were able to "trick" the PS2 into performing.

People all over the industry were noticing the water effect Snowblind was able to give us in "Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance", and there was little debate that Polyphony Digital had our number with it's amazing cars and courses in its "Gran Turismo" series from the impressive "A-spec" debut to the GT4 letting us tool around the beautiful Nurburgring.

For so many reasons, despite much weaker hardware, Sony had not only better playing games, but often better looking games. Unfortunately, they had to live in the Xbox's overblown shadow ever since Microsoft released it.

But all of that is behind us. When the new consoles were announced, I was more than willing to let Microsoft take the crown, but they had to earn it. Well, the war has hardly just begun yet, let alone been decided, but after having my own 360 for the last couple of weeks or so, my expectations are getting clearer.

You'll Only Hear It Here
Just like almost no one had either the guts or the perception to put Xbox in its place, almost no one is sounding the alarm on the 360. I'd seen quite a bit of game footage on the 360 that kept me wondering if I really wanted to spend the money on it or wait for Sony. Nothing I saw was at all convincing.

You'll read a lot about how fantastic the graphics are on games like "Project Gotham Racing 3" and
"Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" among others. In almost every case, it's as bloated as just about every word ever written about the original Xbox.

So why do I own a 360? Eventually, I did run into a game that resoundingly convinced me to spend the cash, and it's a game I'll never play: "Fight Night Round 3". I've never played a boxing game, and I doubt I ever will. It just doesn't interest me. But one evening I stopped by my local Fry's electronics store. Of course, I ended up walking by the video games section and passed by the 23" Samsung LCD they had hooked up to their 360.

I'd seen a number of games on that monitor before, but as I walked by this time, they seemed to be playing some boxing video. Then, I noticed a kid in front of the screen whaling away on a controller, and then I realized -- it was a game. I'd never really been stunned by graphics like I was that evening. If the 360 could capture that in every game, it would easily be worthy of the "next-gen" label.

Unfortunately, that's not the case.

Elder Scrolls looks great. In many ways, it is next-gen, in others, certainly not (what kind of jump animation is that??). Gamespot.com has a comparison test between the PC version and the 360. Does anyone remember all the talk about how the consoles will be even more powerful than the strongest desktop PC? Remember all that rubbish when you read that comparison. There should be no comparison. That face-off itself is a failure for Microsoft. Asinine.

Project Gotham -- you really, really, honestly have got to be kidding me. Do yourself a favor: of you don't have a PS2, forget the 360 and grab one of those and GT4. Nurburgring looks better, the cars look and move better -- it's just a better game all around. What in the name of holiness is the design expertise that crafted those hideous N64 sparks when the car scrapes the road?? Don't speak! Don't speak! Go to your room!! Those were ridiculous to see in the non-PS2 versions of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. This is deplorable here. The cars and scenery look flat and lifeless. The original PGR games are better.

Kameo? Yeah, the graphics can modestly claim next-gen status, but after a while, you might just as well save the cash and stick with one of the current consoles. And it's very creative game design, but ultimately not that engaging.

As I said, the war has hardly begun, and I'm more than willing to praise Gates and crew if they can step up and show us what the 360 has promised, but at this point, not only have I not seen it, but most of what I've seen fails to earn the "next-gen" label.

I remember the reason I had to get a PS2. I'd played Gauntlet: Dark Legacy and was sold. Unfortunately, I didn't have that luxury with the 360. I had to buy on faith. The faith that, essentially, if the box can do that for Fight Night this early in the launch, then it should be able to do it all the time.

Lesson learned: unless you see a game (ideally, play one) that captures your imagination, then it's worth the money -- otherwise, no matter how promising it is, if you can get the games on other platforms (Elder Scrolls and Tomb Raider fans, you own a PC, right?) it wont be worth your time.

All of this makes me all the more eager to see the PS3. Based on Sony's creative success with an underpowered platform, I get almost giddy thinking about what they can do with what may be the most powerful console on the market in November.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home